I signed up for a DIY Challenge Game where we are given a problem each week and have to solve it via crafting! Lowest score for the week gets elimiated, and I am bringing my A-Game to this and I'm having so much fun so far. Here is my process for this week's problem!
This is the lovely avatar the hosts made me for this game.
From the host:
I was assigned the color VIOLET!
First, I did some research and had some ideas of what I was going to do, I went on Pinterest and collected some ideas on a secret board. My initial idea was based off of a project I had been sitting on for a long time: upcycling some ratty old high heels. Initially, I was going to simply spray paint them yellow but this game/challenge gave me an opportunity to do something REALLY COOL.
Take a peek at my mood board below:
My idea was to make GALAXY HEELS! And I wanted them to light up!
Thinking about this project and thinking of PRIDE brought to mind images of QUEENS and luxury and fabulous-ness. I wanted to make heels fit for a queen, and ones that would SLAY EVERYONE. My vision was of a queenly person wearing these, strutting their stuff, and mobs of people running after screaming "YAASSSSSS!"
So - here are some BEFORE pics:
My first task was to assemble materials, and stay within budget:
Shoes: FREE (already owned)
Adhesive Vinyl: FREE (work perks!)
Mod Podge: FREE (already owned, it's everyone's favorite craft material!)
Purple Glitter: $2.50
Painter's Tape: FREE (already owned)
Acrylic Paint & Brushes: FREE (already owned)
Aluminum/Metal: FREE! (Upcycling! Found it in my trash!)
2 LED Lights: $2.00 Each (Party Balloon repurpose!)
TOTAL PROJECT COST: $6.50
Okay, so the first step of business was installing the adhesive vinyl. This was...an adventure. I had installed vinyl before on windows and FLAT surfaces, but never something this small, and rounded.
Do you want to know how difficult it was? Here, take a gander:
Yeah...it wasn't easy. I almost gave up halfway through, but persevered.
After applying the vinyl, I had to clean up the edges because I had a plan for what I was going to do to the heels.
And done! To be honest, this entire process took a few hours and a bunch of frustrated breaks...but it all worked out awesome. I'm not happy with the top edge, but I found a solution for that later. The next step was the MOST DANGEROUS. Adding glitter. And everyone knows that glitter is the HERPES OF CRAFT PRODUCTS. To avoid getting glitter everywhere, I put masking tape on the areas of the shoes I did not want covered, as well as used the inside of a cardboard box for my "glitter workshop".
I used Mod Podge to adhere the purple glitter to the arch and heel, leaving the sole unglittered, but cleaning it up a bit by adding a fresh coat of black acrylic paint. After two coats of glitter, I applied modge podge to the entire bottom of the shoe to protect and keep the glitter on the shoe and not on the dance floor!
I decided to paint the inside of the shoe to make it look a little nicer, and to trim up the edges a bit for a cleaner line. I wanted these to look NICE!
Here is a photo of my meager workstation...I have everything I need (INCLUDING WINE!)
My next problem was how to get the shoes to light up. I found a few tutorials and examples of people making some before, so I knew it was possible, but everything looked so complicated and involved heavy-duty drilling and electrical work and I only had a budget of $10 and it was a quick-turnaround on a project!
I went on a hunt for some sort of LED lighting and found myself in the automotive section where I ran into a coworker. I told him my problem and he suggested checking out the party section and possibly using the LED light from one of those light-up balloons. I took his advice and found some color changing ones which is everything I dreamed they could be! I cut open the balloons and extracted the light which is basically an LED light powered by two watch batteries, and it's activated by pulling out a strip of paper to make the connection complete.
(I made sure to not pull the paper because the batteries last for about 15 hours.)
I also wanted the light-up factor to be reusable and not just a one-time thing, so I needed to find a way to adhere the light to the bottom of the shoe, and have the lights easily replaceable. I figured $4 for a night on the town with light up shoes wouldn't be such a horrible expense, its less than a fancy manicure!
I took an aluminum can and cut to fashion sort of a clip to adhere to the bottom of the shoe, with a little slit to fit the nub of the LED light contraption. It looked clean and non obtrusive - awesome! I adhered to the shoe using hot glue.
Next, in an effort to hide the ugly seam left by the vinyl application, I found some cool plastic stars from a bracelet from when I went through a weird pop-punk phase in high school (let's not talk about it) and glued them to the back to I attached those using hot glue as well.
Looks great! Now that everything is assembled, it's time to activate the LED lights and take some cool photos and video!
Now here's the video of makin' these heels work for me!